Developing tele-health mobile application for a US-based healthcare tech firm
VivoDoc is an online appointment scheduling platform that connects patients with top specialty physicians in the United States. The two-way telemedicine platform enables patients to reduce the wait time and helps to avoid physician burnout. The healthcare marketplace has its presence in major cities of the United States and is continuously expanding to cater to a large user base of the country.
- 1000+ practitioners onboard
- 60+ specialities
- HIPAA compliant software
The average wait time to schedule an appointment with physicians in the United States is 24 days (and this varies based on the city and practice that a patient is looking for). Moreover, the healthcare system at the providers’ end confronts several challenges such as Physician burnout, Fee-for-Service (FFS) Payment Model, and patient no-shows, etc.
VivoDoc had the idea to overcome these common yet crucial issues in the healthcare system. To convert this idea into a market fit solution, the client was on the look around for a technology partner who could help them with strategy, technology, architecture, time-to-market, and other related aspects of development. The telemedicine solution was expected to do the following:
- Allow patients to check physicians within the vicinity, view their available time-slots, and book them.
- Enable patients to check for insurance coverage before the appointment schedule. This also ensures that the providers or physicians do not face reimbursement issues.
- Integrate with third-party EHR platforms (Athena Health and Dr. Chrono) so that physicians can focus on their jobs (rather than patient information or history).
- Enable providers and physicians to manage the revenue cycle and other marketing components related to their care business.
Team Daffodil, on understanding the app requirements proposed a development roadmap to VivoDoc. This included recommendations for a cloud architecture (with the most relevant managed cloud services), technology stack, third-party integrations, security factors and compliances, best development practices for faster time-to-market, and some must-haves that could give an edge to their app idea.
Using React Native, Angular, and NodeJS as core technologies, a mobile and web application was developed that aims to reduce the patient-physician appointment booking time. The web and mobile applications were developed with 4 user roles such as Patient (Mobile & Web), Physician (Mobile & Web), Admin (Web), and Super Admin (Web).
VivoDoc for Patients: The app allows patients to check the physicians in the vicinity, their available time-slots for an appointment, and book them online. The solution help patients to make informed choices with verified reviews by other patients and schedule appointments either in-person or through a video call (with a multi-specialty consultation facility).
VivoDoc for Physicians/Providers: The app allows physicians/providers to get onboarded with multiple practices and meet potential patients looking for their services, thereby increasing the efficiency of their practices.
VivoDoc Admin/Super Admin Role: The admin and super admin (depending upon the permissions) can have a bird’ eye view of the practices on the platform. This includes the number of bookings through VivoDoc, count of practices onboarded, number of providers, type of subscription plans, etc.
- Microservices Architecture: The application codebase was expected to become complex as the development progressed. To maintain scalability and fault isolation, the microservices architecture was adopted. By dividing the application into independently deployable, small-sized modules, the complexity of the codebase was reduced. Moreover, executing changes to small, independent modules offer space for frequent updates in the app.
- Security Compliance: The application stores sensitive patient health information (PHI) and thus to protect the data from any unauthorized use, the HIPAA compliance rules were followed.
- EHR Integration: To help physicians/providers maintain an electronic record of the patients and ensure interoperability of this data, the software was integrated with third-party EHR platforms (Athena Health and Dr. Chrono). Team Daffodil overcame the challenges associated with this integration, including complex onboarding process, trouble with API integrations, practice & provider level synchronization in both the EHR platforms.
- Powerful Search Engine: The search engine in the application is powered by elastic search, wherein, a number of permutations & combinations were applied to offer the most relevant output to the patients. With elastic search, it was ensured that irrespective of the load on the search engine, accurate and quick results are offered to the users.
- Visibility of Available Slots: Team Daffodil used the cache mechanism to ensure that the patients are able to check the recently updated slot of the physician.
- Insurance Verification: Patients are provided with the option to check their insurance compatibility with the physician or the provider at the time of booking. This is done using the pVerify service at the backend so that patients are ascertained that the insurance supports the selected physician/provider.
- Payment to Practitioner: Team Daffodil did thorough research to figure out a payment solution where the payment is directly done to the physician or the provider’s account. For this, the Express service by Stripe was utilized.
- Cloud Infrastructure: The entire infrastructure of the application is hosted on the Google Cloud Platform. Team Daffodil utilized the best of GCP services for improved application performance.
One of the prime advantages of using GCP in this healthcare project was HIPAA-aligned workload. The workload contained various recommended security configurations related to role-based access control, data protection and retention, audit logging, monitoring, etc.
The client has been extremely satisfied by the way Daffodil has executed the entire project. The client was able to launch the solution in a timely and desired manner as Daffodil ensured that the deliverables were provided on time while maintaining the utmost quality. Daffodil has been providing extensive technical support to the client to maintain their app and plan for new features and updates.
- 1000+ practitioners onboard
- 60+ specialities
- HIPAA compliant software
“Before we started the development of our product, we did significant research and we found Daffodil Software to be very impressive. It has been an interesting journey with a lot of learning and involvement with Daffodil’s team. Everyone from the top to the bottom at Daffodil has been very helpful and has helped us explore different technologies right from the ideation phase until the development and going live. We also see them as our partners in our future developments and endeavors.”
Dr. Rahman Mohammed,
Co-Founder & CEO, Vivodoc
Read Related Case Studies
Daffodil helps one of UK’s largest private clinic chain implement a customized PMS to improve patient engagement and efficiency by 47%Read Case Study
New York’s leading hospital reduces door to balloon time for STEMI patients through an emergency response appRead Case Study
Modernizing Asia’s largest online Emergency Medical Services (EMS) portal; ZiqitzaRead Case Study
- See all customer success stories
Get in Touch
Sign up for a 30 min no-obligation strategic session with us
Let us understand your business objectives, set up initial milestones, and plan your software project.
At the end of this 30 min session, walk out with:
- Validation of your project idea/ scope of your project
- Actionable insights on which technology would suit your requirements
- Industry specific best practices that can be applied to your project
- Implementation and engagement plan of action
- Ballpark estimate and time-frame for development